This is a delicious recipe for a big bold and beefy chili that balances the tang of tomato with the richness of cocoa. It’s almost like a chili mole, with really basic preparation and the added bonus of filling Cooler Kitchen headquarters and the surrounding hallway with the delicious smell of slow cooking meat for 6 hours.
You can’t use enough avocado to top the chili. It adds a whole otherworldly nutty lightness to your chili eating experience. I personally believe that avocado beats out cheese and sour cream as a chili topping! Stay warm and satisfied, and make great use of your slow cooker this winter.
Big Bold & Beefy Slow Cooker Chili with Avocado
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5) oz cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour the onions into a large (6 or 7 quart) slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium-high eat, add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally until beef has browned. Pour browned beef into the slow cooker.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, red pepper flakes, and sugar to the crock pot, then season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Stir mixture and top with the bay leaves, then cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours. Serve warm with lots of avocado and parsley.