It’s no secret that Cooler Kitchen loves soup! It’s spring in New York City, and nothing beats a hot bowl of coconut curry soup with light, bright flavors to keep the manic weather swings in check.
This Allrecipes.com recipe was recommended to Brandon by an old friend, and there was very little that we had to do to tweak it for our own taste. We omitted the mushrooms and added a splash of hot chili sauce for an extra kick.
A big bottle of fish sauce was a major recent addition to our pantry. It gives everything it splashes sweet funk that we just love. Happy Spring!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk until evenly mixed. Add the shrimp and cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, season with salt and Sriracha. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.